Tropical flavors take center stage in this dessert, combined with crunchy, candied nuts and cool, creamy ice cream or frozen yogurt for a truly delicious treat.
1/2 fresh, ripe pineapple
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. rum
1 Tbsp. no trans fat margarine
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/4 cup shelled pistachios
A Pivotal Moment: Blood Tests Emerge for Cancer Screening
Advances in genomic technology are paving the way for improved cancer screening.
Psoriasis Comorbidities: Beyond the Skin | A Woman’s Health
Psoriasis is often thought of as a skin disease, but this autoimmune disorder has a list of comorbidities, such as diabetes, that can affect different areas of the body.
2 cups lite vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt
- Peel, core, and slice pineapple into rounds or spears.
- Melt margarine in small bowl in microwave for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar and rum, mix well.
- Add pineapple and banana to 9×13 dish, add sugar mixture and mix well. Careful not to break the banana.
- In a small, dry sautée pan, add the pistachios and the sugar. Cook over medium heat until sugar is melted and the nuts have candied.
- Just before serving, grill pineapple and banana over medium-high heat until golden brown on each side, and serve with lite vanilla frozen yogurt or ice cream. Top with the candied pistachios.
Note: Be sure grill is clean before adding pineapple so flavors of fish etc. are not imparted to fruit.
Calories per serving: 320
Calorie equivalent: 1 ½ fruits, 1 carbohydrate, ½ fat
Recipe courtesy California Health and Longevity Institute.